Monday 3 May 2010

Typography

From looking at the Graphic Design Blog I collected a few images that I thought were visually appealing  and what I thought were creatively interesting not only for its design but its concept.


This image above is created out of human body parts, fingers to create a letter form this is relative to my typeface that I have created out of female's legs. The designer has used shading to create a more rounded letter form.

This typeface has been created out of an overlay of colour and shape to not only form a typeface but a pattern which creates a strong image. I like the use of tones that have been used and rounded shapes to create the letters.



Using objects is also a strong way of creating a typeface. Using bulldog clips gives this typeface a sharp look and boldness of image.





The concept of this design works really well with its message creating a smashed effect to act as an object in the wind to smash the glass when actually the process of this was a snooker ball being thrown on the glass whilst the camera shoots the smash. The simple clear type is all this design needs as the concept using the smashed glass visually demonstrates the message making it more interesting.


Ive found a lot of designs that use the parts of the actual product to create the message take the image above for instance using left overs of the needles of the christmas tree to create the message of 'Christmas is over' this relates to the pieces use to create the type over.


This type looks as those the image has already been created to create a scene behind the bold typeface creating a clipping mask. I think having the image on a black background makes the type not very clear to read I can't tell the what the message is trying to convey and if it is relative to the image that the type is made out of. I still think though that it makes an appealing image just with the smoky white effect.



This detailed illustrated really makes this type visually interesting but also makes it quite hard to read but the form of the letter that has been created has each taken time, you can see this by the weight of line that has been used and it doesn't look rushed I also like how each letter has been hand rendered making each letter its own. The yellow circles highlight specific areas of each letter give it that extra vibrant touch.


Again using human parts to create a typeface which is also relative to my concept of the leg typeface for Bacardi. I think if small areas of this were highlighted with a bit of colour you would be able to tell what the images were that were forming the typeface a bit more clearly rather then keeping the type to greyscale.




I like the use of using actual objects to create to form type this is why I went with creating type out of flowers for part of my Ted Baker brief and creating type out of my Lip marks for my Bacardi brief as I wanted to do something different to what I have done before and instead of using vectored imagery to create a letter form. Again below is the same concept using items to create a letterform this type paper folding has been used to create a letter form. I don't think this typeface is as strong to read as the others show above the form of the letter is not as clear the first 4 letters are but from then its quite hard.



The two images below I found off Behance which are created by a designer called Bela Borsodi. It looks as though the design of this has really been thought about, the way the objects have been constructed to form the letter is very neat and legible. The colours used as well all suit each other in the image making it easy on the eye and also having the letters on a plain colour background makes the letter stand out.

 




I really like the luminous colours used to create this design and type it also works well on the stock that it has been printed on giving it a glow effect making it become more vibrant looking.






Applying type to other materials and products is a good way to show a thought process and to where you see your designs being situated in the real world, this is something I need to think about with the typefaces that I have created on what products I want to apply it to.




I found this typeface shown in the YCN book, the reason for me choosing this was I found it relative to what I have been doing with the typeface for Bacardi out of female legs.


No comments:

Post a Comment